Saturday, July 24, 2010

Shadowbox quilt and a new shelf from a mantle

At Pieceful Quilting in Riverhead, I took a class called Shadowbox Quilt. You use a novelty fabric and make window panes around it. The fabric I used was pictures of houses with quilts on the line.



The boxes in the quilt are all different sizes, which made it like a puzzle when it was time to put together.





I have it hanging in my pantry window now. Once it is quilted, I am going to hang it there since I love walking into the pantry and seeing it there. Our teacher Alice made the project fun and easy. Maybe I will make another one.



About 5 years ago, I saw a shelf that was made from a mantle and I asked Kenny to make me one. It had doorknobs instead of hooks, so I got some nice ones at an antiques store and have had them in a box all this time. I painted it white, then brushed red paint over it and then put that crackle stuff on to make it look old. Kenny HATED it when he saw it and would not put it up for all this time!! He begged me to change the color, but the other day I said, "Ken, it's time to get this old shelf put up in the mudroom." He asked me to paint it again and I said that I liked the red, so he just went along with it finally:) Here it is with the aprons hanging on it and a few farmy things on top. I am really happy with it and Ken probably is too.



With the whole house clean as a whistle, anyone can just pop on in anytime and I won't be embarrassed. Better hurry though, as it won't last long!

4 comments:

Autumn said...

Keep it clean girl-I'm on my way over for a cup of coffee!!!
(Don't I wish?)
The quilt is just genius!!! ANd the red farmhouse shelf is wonderful!!!!

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Oh my! I love that quilt..makes you feel like you can walk in and go visit! And mantle shelf is fabulous! I'd love to find some of those.

Have a wonderful day,
Stephanie ♥

Colleen said...

Your shadow box is glorious and I know first hand since I saw it live! Great job! And I too LOVE your shelf, red and all!!!

Jean said...

Shadowbox is beautiful. I want to do another one also with a winter scene. We should work on it together, maybe when Friday nights start