Tuesday, February 15, 2011

another quilt done totally!!

Years ago, we did a Block of the Month at Pieceful Quilting that was so pretty and soft looking. I loved these colors and fabrics, so this past November, I put it all together and quilted it before Thanksgiving (actually, I quilted it the day before Thanksgiving!!). I did a cross-hatch design, but instead of straight stitching, I used my specialty stitches. I changed them every other line, so it looks like a sampler of quilting stitches too. If you click on any of the pictures, you can see the quilting more closely. There are NO puckers on the back or front of this quilt!
My friend, Colleen, at the quilt shop picked the binding out for me. I love it. I made the binding last week and put it on last night since I have been super busy at school doing the play and other stuff until this past weekend. Now I am free again, so will be able to come home and sew a little more each day.

The butterfly block is one of my favorites!! I plan to make an entire quilt with them this year. In the 30s and 40s, it was a common quilt pattern, so I have to make one for my collection!


My friend Debbie has never sewn in her life, but wanted to learn how after her mom passed away this October. Her mom was an excellent seamstress and Deb wants to sew in order to feel another connection to her. She cut and sewed this quilt top together using all flannels. She cut one for my son's girlfriend while she was at it. I will have her sew that one together too so we can give it to Ali this spring. Finally, after dragging Deb to all those quilt stores for years, she is getting hooked!

2 comments:

sandy davis said...

Sheryl, I love how that quilt came out. The different stitches in the cross hatch pattern looks great. I really like how the green sashing (not pieced) looks quilted that way.

Deb, great job on your flannel quilt too!

Colleen said...

Sheryl...love that quilt. The quilting looks super...I really like the idea of the cross hatch and then to add the decorative stitches...WOW!