Sunday, July 20, 2014

Rustic plate chargers and trivets


So I got an email from Michael's the other day and there was a pretty picnic setting with log slices used on the table! Of course I had to have some!  I told Kenny and he just happened to be taking a few trees down for a client so log slices would be in my hands the next day. Yay! Funny how things come together sometimes.  Kenny showed me how to use the planer to make them smooth.
Here he is instructing me properly!

Here he is taking over!  It didn't bother me that he finished the planing.  I need more practice at "feeling" how it works so that I don't leave ruts.  I am going to have to sand them on my own and do the finishing as well.  It's fun when Kenny gets involved in my ideas.
I drilled the holes in the center where they had started cracking (in one night!) to help slow that down.

I hope that the holes will keep the cracks from growing too fast.  Now I will let them dry out for a week or so before I sand them and put a varnish of some kind on them.  Won't they look pretty with fall flowers and pumpkins on the table?  I was thinking about some plaid fabric for napkins and ribbons for the fall holidays.  I'll let you know how they look in a few days.

No comments: