Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Mariners Compass quilt for dad's 70th!!

My dad turned 70 this week and my parents came back to New York so we could all celebrate together. About a year ago, I started thinking about making him a Mariners Compass since he is an avid fisherman. I found this Quiltsmart pattern and started making it. This is the first section.
Two sections put together.

Half of the medallion together. My husband LOVED the colors in this quilt.


Here is the center medallion done. It is enormous!! For sure, it will take up the entire center of the bed. I have never done a quilt with just one center image, so it was cool to try it.


I put the center on this light blue (it's just placed on it here, not sewn on yet) and then put darker blue borders around it. The center is appliqued on and then it is ready for quilting. Since there would be so much blank space, I had the quilt quilted by a professional. She did the most amazing work on it. The blank space is a work of art by itself. Once the quilt is home at my parent's house, mom will take pictures of it and do a close-up of the quilting. I was stunned by that alone. Due to the weight of the quilt, the quilter said she would never do another one, so I guess I got lucky!!




6 comments:

Autumn said...

STUNNING! I love this pattern! I did a smaller version years ago and plan to do another someday!!
Happy Birthday to your dad,also!! :)

Bonne said...

Totally and absolutely stunning! It always amazes me what beautiful images you paint with fabric Sheryl-lyn. :)

sandy davis said...

This is beautiful - I just know your dad loved it! It looks like it was a lot of work and thought. You outdid yourself, once again...

Ruth said...

What a gorgeous pattern. Your dad will love it.

Ruth

electricdunce said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love the colors, and your excellent needling skills set it off perfectly!

Karin

smoothiejuice's hectichousehold said...

holy smokes sheryl lyn. you never cease to amaze me with your skills. this is absolutely amazing.. you are so rockin!