This is one version of the fan that I cut out. I love the way it all lined up so well. If you know me, I am not always worried about perfection (a little tug, or some steam from the iron goes a long way to making things fit), but I had to make sure the layers were all perfect before cutting. It was not too bad actually once it is all pinned to match the exact same spot on all layers.
See how they all look a little different? Some look like vines going across the fan and others have a bigger design across the top. You use a see-through template so you can see which part of the fabric you are focusing on.
Our teacher, Alice, helped me pick out the background fabric for the blocks. I wanted it to look really soft and elegant when it was put together, so she immediately found this very pale purple and it looks great. Across the top and bottom of the fan will be a tiny, tiny bias binding that I made out of dark purple. It should make the blocks stand out, but not be too loud.
Another block. Honestly, when I came home from the class I wanted to start cutting up all of my fabric to make stack and whack designs. You can do stars, squares, and all manner of cool stuff with this. My quilt is actually pretty tame compared to some of the fabrics the other women in the class were using. They were making some awesome fans with their fabrics. I will be putting this together on Friday at the next class where we will finish the tops.